Description

Information about beauty products for the super allergic, super sensitive, mostly me.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

No Wen

Not recommended. At a friends suggestion I tried the "conditioning cleanser" Wen to help with my dry, dry hair. It's a glycerin-based, non-lathering cleanser. No soap, no striping of the hair. Sounded good, and it did help with the dryness, but it also gave me a exzema on my scalp that caused much empbarassment and took many months to clear up. This is because it contains the preservatives Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone (related to isothiazolinone) both of which are allergens known to cause skin irritations, including chemical burns. Not to mention Dimethylamine (basically methanol and ammonia) and Butylene Glycol. Nice one, eh?

Do this instead? This "revolutionary" cleanser is really just glycerin watered down with aloe and some other herbal waters with added wheat protein (for body) and panthenol (to seal the hair surface and add shine - basically B5acid). So skip the Wen and make your own. Good vegetable gylcerin is available for a few dollars at any health food store. Obviously, you can buy aloe juice there too, but did you know you can also buy pantothenic acid and wheat protein? http://www.organic-creations.com/. I think I'll give it a try....

No comments:

Post a Comment